WASHINGTON, D.C. – Last week, Congresswoman Nikki Budzinski (D-IL), alongside House Veterans Affairs Committee Ranking Member Mark Takano (D-CA), Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Ranking Member Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Congressman Chris Pappas (D-NH) sent a third letter to Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Secretary Doug Collins urging him to address VA’s failure to pay required education benefits on time to over 75,000 veterans and their families and survivors.

Get The Latest News!

Don't miss our top stories and need-to-know news everyday in your inbox.

"These payment failures are not merely a bureaucratic inconvenience; they are a direct failure to uphold the sacred promise made to those who earned these veteran benefits,” said the lawmakers. "The fact that VA is continually failing to publicly communicate creates the appearance that you and this administration are attempting to hide this problem.”

Article continues after sponsor message

This is the third letter Congressional leaders have sent on this issue. Secretary Collins has failed to respond to previous letters sent on October 9 and November 14, missing multiple deadlines to provide the requested information. VA acknowledged during a December 5 briefing that it never informed Congress of the issue impacting 75,000 beneficiaries, which started in August. VA is aware of the failed distribution of checks that is still affecting the finances of thousands, but deemed it unnecessary to communicate with the veterans, families, and survivors impacted or to notify Congress and the public.

"This continues to create uncertainty and financial stress for those using Chapter 35 Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) benefits," the lawmakers said, noting that VA staffing furlough decisions during the government shutdown were out of line with White House guidance, which hindered VA Education Services' ability to deploy automation and work through the backlog.

The lawmakers urged Secretary Collins to appear at the Economic Subcommittee hearing on December 16, 2025, to explain VA's failure to deliver mandatory benefits and VA officials' choice not to inform or communicate with beneficiaries, the public, and Congress.

Secretary Collins has yet to respond to any of the three letters or demands for action. Please click here to read the full letter.

Prefer RiverBender on Google
Copyright 2026 Riverbender.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

 

More like this:

Duckworth, Lawmakers Slam Trump’s Efforts To Tear Apart Military Families, Convert Military Bases Into Deportation Traps
Aug 11, 2026
Duckworth Secures VA Commitment to Improve Maternal Health Care for Veterans
May 2, 2026
Duckworth Accuses VA Secretary Collins of Pushing Privatization in Proposed Budget
May 23, 2026
Budzinski Statement on VA Changing Course on Disability Rating Rule Following Democratic Pressure
Mar 2, 2026
Duckworth Calls Out Trump Administration for Delaying and Neglecting Servicemembers’ Immigration Cases
Jun 25, 2026